University of Phoenix Central Valley Campus Hosts Military Transitioning Event | Business
University hosts Start Strong Event to connect career resources and opportunities to veterans, active-duty service members and their spouses during Veterans Day week
WHAT: As hundreds of thousands of service members return home from Iraq and Afghanistan and with the post-911 veterans unemployment rate at 9.7 percent1, which is higher than the national unemployment rate of 7.8 percent2, the need for career services for transitioning active-duty service members, veterans and their families has never been more immediate.
Entering the civilian job sector after a military career requires careful preparation and planning. To meet this need, University of Phoenix® invites veterans, active duty-service members and their spouses to a special Start Strong Event to learn about career resources essential for transitioning success. At the event, experts from the military, Veterans Affairs, government, corporations and University of Phoenix military alumni will share important information on the following topics:
- Panel Discussion “Transition to civilian life”- Attendees will gain insight into making the transition from military to the civilian sector by listening to a special panel discussion. Attendees have the opportunity to learn and ask questions about how to translate their military experience into the civilian job market.
- Transition to Civilian Life Workshops – Attendees will gain knowledge on how to complete a transition checklist, learn how to dress for the civilian work environment, and learn more about jobs in Information Technology and the degree programs and certifications required for specific career fields.
- Networking Session with Local Employers – Attendees will meet local employers and industry association representatives who can provide insight on the hiring market and the quality and skills they are looking for in career seekers.
- Holiday Mail for Heroes – University of Phoenix is participating in the American Red Cross’ Holiday Mail for Heroes initiative. Attendees of the University’s Start Strong Veterans Event will have an opportunity to send a holiday card to veterans, military families and active-duty service members at military hospitals and installations around the world.
WHEN: Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012
9 a.m. - Noon
WHERE: University of Phoenix Central Valley Campus
45 E River Park Place
Fresno, CA 93720
More information can be found at www.phoenix.edu/militaryevent
- University of Phoenix Central Valley Campus Director Ann Tye is available to discuss why the University is hosting the military transitioning event in the local market.
- Footage of members of the local military community learning about career resources and opportunities from University of Phoenix staff and faculty, as well as local veterans who successfully made the transition from military to the civilian sector.